Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Replacing wall-mounted toilet tank? (Afraid of other issues)

On Nov 24, 1:30*pm, PRW wrote:
We have been nursing our old bathroom toilet for a long time. It's one
of the ones with a larger tank that uses more water flushing and
that's the reason we've nursed it, because for some members of our
family, it might take three or four flushes from a 1.7 toilet to
dispose of the "business," if you catch my drift (which of course
defeats the water-saving purpose, but nobody asked me).

However, the ell that runs from the tank to the bowl is now leaking,
and I know those are difficult to find, plus it's leaking around one
of the bolts on the floor (probably bad seal), so it's probably time
to get rid of it.

I have purchased a new complete toilet set, have an appointment with a
plumber to install it (I would rather spend the money to have it
installed by someone who knows what he's doing).

However, the tank of this toilet is attached to the bathroom wall,
appears to be connected by two pieces of metal coming out of the wall,
probably from studs. There are no pipes running through the wall or
anything, it's just attached to the wall. There don't appear to be any
other holes in the wall except for the two studs that are holding the
toilet.

The toilet kit we have is a free-standing floor mount toilet that I
don't think is going to sit up against the wall. My wife and I are
afraid that this is going to wind up involving sheet rock and re-
tiling work in the bathroom, which we'd really rather not do right now
if it's at all possible.

Can any of you plumbers out there suggest any other options for this
situation? Or are we stuck with the extra work? Thanks in advance for
any advice.

They make toilets for different dimensions from wall, the floor drain,
just order the right one. Even the cheap 59$ HD toilets are only one
flush needed, if your worried consumer reports rates them on crap
efficency.