Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Dave Garland Dave Garland is offline

Default Doorbell always uses electricity!

wrote:
the outlet strip likely has a power on light of some sort wasting
power when its on..

But not when it's off And that power is probably returned manyfold
by virtue of the fact that the light reminds you that the other things
plugged in are continuing to use power, so you turn it off sooner.

In any case, mostly the power-on light is a switch with something like a
built-in NE-2 (1/17 watt) bulb. No big deal.

individually the amount wasted is likely small, however nationwide for
everyone it must add up and waste is waste.....

It's true. But we need to maintain a sense of proportionality. A
single person running central air sucks as much power (3-20KW) as
150,000 outlet strip indicator lights. A single load of clothes in an
electric dryer uses as much power (6KWH) as 12 outlet strip indicator
lights do in a year. So while we don't want to completely ignore the
small stuff, the bulk of our effort needs to be reducing the use of
those power hogs.

Dave