Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Mike is offline

Default How to heat a 9 x 16 uninsulated shed? Suggestions sought.

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 09:38:17 -0800 (PST), KIMOSABE
wrote:

My home shop is squeezed into a 9 x 16 wood shed.

I can't do much in the winter because NJ is just too cold. I need to
heat it up now and then and am looking for suggestions. I tried a
small 1500 btu Pelonis electric/fan heater the other day and that was
about as effective as puppies' breath.

So, any thoughts? Space is at a premium. I'm stepping around and
over stuff as it is now.

I'd consider some sort of propane or kerosene heater provided it
wasn't a space hog or just too much of a fire or carbon monoxide
hazard.

I may be asking for the impossible.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Temporary measure - pile up (rectangular) straw bales round all the
walls and on the roof. Bond foil covered insulation to the outside of
the door. Hope no one sets fire to it. Heat with electric fan
heater.

Permanent measure, insulate the walls roof and floor with the best
insulation you can afford., probably better to rebuild from scratch
with *at least* 4 inches of insulation in the floor, walls and roof.
Heat with (air) passive solar collectors in a south facing wall.

Insulate correctly and you wont need a wood stove or the other dingbat
ideas often floated around for workshop use - they cause many more
problems than they solve.