Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_2_] Steve W.[_2_] is offline

Default paint car hood

Karl Townsend wrote:
A while back, I was dragging a culvert behind my tractor. It caught on a
concrete lip, stood straight up, then tipped over on my better half's car
hood.
She was not impressed.

OK, now I've bought a like new hood from the salvage yard, and she just got
a quote for $500 to paint it. That ain't gonna happen.

I'm pretty good at painting tractors and other equipment. Enough to know the
key is preparation. What steps should be taken to paint this hood? (I know
it has a clear coat over the white color, I need red with a clear coat) If I
don't get it right, the boss will just take it in.

Karl

Take it in anyway.
BC/CC red is going to cost you about 150 for the paint, Then you can
plan on scuffing the hood, fenders and posts on the car. Then mask it
off and shoot it. You need to do this because just painting the hood
won't work. You have to shoot the hood and then blend the new paint into
the old so it doesn't show. Even then anyone who has real experience
with painting will know it has been painted. That is because red is a
BIT%^ to match in many cases. Also you will NEVER match the factory
paint exactly. Why? because your not a robot shooting with an
electrostatic gun.

If a shop does it, they do the work, they also guarantee the work.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York