Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RB[_2_] RB[_2_] is offline

Default Rust removers

wrote:
On Nov 22, 6:01 pm, (Old
Chipper) wrote:
New Member here! Hello all!
Anyone have a cheap (reasonable) recipe for a chemical rust remover that
can be used in removing medium to heavy rust? I'm always restoring or
reclying something that has rusted. I'm aware of the dangers that can be
involved. We used to do plating, etc. in the shop I worked in. Jenolite or
Naval Jelly is made from what? I was told they contain Phosphoric acid,
but what percentage?
I'm not in a hurry, so even a "greener" solution would be okay! Right now
I have all the parts from a 1923 gain drill. Will take me forever to sand
all those parts. Have 1/2 dozen old handsaws and other old axes etc, that
are really bad. Too give you an idea of what I'm doing. I have a sand
blaster but that suit gets awful hot here in south TX. I've read about the
battery charger and baking soda method, anyone know how large a charger is
needed and does it work or harm the parent metal?
thanks

Delivered via
http://www.rittercnc.com/
Metalworking Forums
rec.crafts.metalworking - 130461 messages and counting!

I use Zep Metal Prep Dip Rust Remover from Home Depot.
I can walk away and leave parts in there till I get around to using
them.
Karl

Karl, i wonder if that stuff is the same as Evaporust?