Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
AndrewV AndrewV is offline

Default Tapered shfts

I think you would need to make or have made an adaptor to fit the shaft or
have a pulley of the correct size bored to match. Remember that the
generator is looking for a certain RPM so your pulleys need to match up to
provide it. The formula for figuring it out (Machineries handbook) is
D=d*s/S; D= size of the driving pulley....S= rpm's of the driving
pulley.... d=size of the driven pulley.....s=rpm's of the driven pulley.
I've been playing with this lately for my sawmill project. Also surplus
center (www.surpluscenter.com) has electric clutches to fit tapered shafts
so maybe that is a cheap way to get a pulley to fit, you could either use
the clutch or fix it in the engaged position.

AndrewV

"troye" wrote in message
My generator head cooked and I would like to use the engine for a new
setup however the engine has a tapered shaft and the new generator
head takes a belt pulley instead of a direct hookup, where can i
obtain a pulley that will fit a tapered shaft.thanks