Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Doorbell always uses electricity!

In ,
Andy Energy wrote:

On Nov 19, 6:21=A0pm, "Bill" wrote:
Wired doorbells have a transformer which is always on and always using
electricity. This is yet one more thing in the house which does this like
TV, microwave, remote control things, things with clocks, plug-in phones,
etc.

These things add up...

I replaced/rewired my switch so the transformer is only on when the
doorbell button is pressed! Thus the transformer is off most of the
time now.

I installed a regular electrical box at my front door, ran 14 ga. romex
from this box to the doorbell transformer, then got a nice brass blank
wall plate, drilled a hole in this plate, then installed a 120V
momentary push switch in the plate. Then wired this to switch on the
transformer when the button is pressed. Then connected the two wires
which were going to the old button so the doorbell would ring as soon
as it receives power from the transformer.

It is great to see someone actually measured the watt draw then did
the math for the houses in this country. Our houses have so many
small loads in them that we need to get busy and decrease them. No
I=92m not recommending making them unsafe, just efficient.

Here is some information from the California Energy Comission

1. "Energy Use of Household Electronics: Taming the Wild Growth" is a
two-page technical brief. The phantom load (the power used by
appliances that are in standby mode) of residential appliances in 50
California homes have been measured. Contrary to what might have been
expected, findings indicate that phantom load prevention (mostly by
unplugging appliances that are not in use), while still advisable,
would not save a great deal of energy. The loads of appliances in
active mode represent the lion's share of energy consumption, and
suggestions to reduce this energy use are offered as a means to bring
about much more dramatic energy savings than phantom load reductions
might. View this document at
http://www.esource.com/esource/getpu...df/cec/CEC-TB-
32_HsholdElectronics.pdf.

Yes, many houses do have 300 watt halogen torchiere lamps. Probably
most houses have quite a few incandescents that can be replaced with CFLs,
and a few still have older fridges that may consume twice as much power as
their replacements.

Some have electric dryers and a few have electric heat. Then there are
the big-screen TVs.

Along with air conditioning - some of which is used to pump out the heat
from the electric loads.

I would battle both the active loads and the phantom loads.

- Don Klipstein )