Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Doorbell always uses electricity!

In article , Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 17:14:47 -0500, wrote:

[snip]

The incandescent lamp in the lighted doorbel button is likely 80% of
the real draw.

Can you get doorbell buttons with LEDs?

The incandescent lamp probably consumes about 1/4 watt maybe less, while
the idling transformer consumes a couple watts.

I still do delivery work and I have done so for many years, and I have
only seen one transformer-powered doorbell button with an LED. The LED
was a model with efficiency similar to or less than even the models of
incandescents lamps being used in doorbell buttons, as used in
doorbell buttons, with intended life expectancy of decades. The LED
appears to me to be from the 1970's or possibly early 1980's.

- Don Klipstein )