Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Doorbell always uses electricity!

In article , Jim
Redelfs wrote:

In article ,
"Bill" wrote:

Wired doorbells have a transformer which is always on and always
using electricity.

So what? I lose more money each year in coins that have fallen between
the seats in my car.

Save the planet? Hardly. If everyone on the grid turned-off their
doorbell transformer, it wouldn't make ANY difference - not ONE iota -
in climate change. None. Zippo.

Most doorbell transformers consume a couple watts. Only a few hundred
million amounts to an amount fairly typical for an electric power plant,
at least an only moderately smallish one.

This is yet one more thing in the house which does this like
TV, microwave, remote control things, things with clocks,
plug-in phones, etc.

These things add up...

So what? Hang one - ONE - load of laundry on a line to dry instead of
using the clothes dryer and you've compensated for a LIFETIME of such
minor energy usage.

3 watts for a clock radio, 2 watts for the main cordless phone, 1 watt
for the other cordless phone, 1 watt for the microwave, 1 watt for the DTV
box, 11 watts for the TV, 2 watts for a doorbell... That is 21 watts.
Over 50 years that amounts to 9 megawatt-hours, and I don't have a video
recorder pluggen most of the time, and my computer, printer and monitor
are on a power strip - and I use the switch on that. A household's idling
load from low power constant loads can somewhat easily be 30 watts or
more.

- Don Klipstein )