Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Dave Garland Dave Garland is offline

Default Doorbell always uses electricity!

wrote:
The thing is, there is a doorbell that does not need any electrical
power. Simply mount a nice looking brass bell on the wall next to the
door, using a bracket. Drill a small hole in the wall a couple feet
above the bell, and attach a piece of nylon string to the bell. Push
the other end of the string thru the hole in the wall and let it hang
outside. Put a nice wooden bead on the end of the string. Then place
a sign that reads "PULL STRING FOR DOORBELL".

Cost: The price of the bell, bracket, string and bead. No further
costs for life, and no electrical energy needed ever.

If:
1) you live in a climate where you don't mind a hole between the inside
and the outside (at -30F with a stiff wind you want as few holes as
possible),
2) you don't have an enclosed porch, which would put the bell on the
porch outside the main door,
3) you can hear a bell by the entry even with one floor, several closed
doors, and perhaps some other sources of audio like kids or radios in
between.

So I can't knock your solution, it is an elegant one for people who live
in mild climates (I can even go one better there, if you always keep
your windows open people can just call for you through the open window).
But it won't work for everybody.

Dave