Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to heat a 9 x 16 uninsulated shed? Suggestions sought.

Bored Borg wrote in
.com:

In my reading round. I discovered the notion of carrying the walls
down with a flared "skirt" of concrete sheeting, lined with rigid foam
and buried a foot or so into the ground. This is the new thinking in
Scandanavian building, apparently.

The skirting traps geothermal heat and directs it upwards, and all
things being equal this raises the cold weather building temperature
by around 16 degrees.. (presume F, not C)

That's a pretty compelling argument, don'tya think?

I suspect that wooden floors would be better than concrete, but that
might just be "common sense" kicking in where it shouldn't (like
"heavier objects obviously hit the ground before lighter objects" type
common sense,)

Would you happen to have an internet site or two to share with us? My
sister's garage is due for replacement next summer, and free heat is
always welcome inside a building.

Puckdropper