Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
matthew maguire[_2_] matthew maguire[_2_] is offline

Default how to accurately grind 60 degree lathe bits

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Nov 21, 11:50 am, Bruce in Bangkok

I never studied solid geometry. In an angle fixture, if I rotate the
bit say 5 degrees for side relief, how do I refigure the 30 degree end
angle?

For a nice visual on compensation using compound sine plates look he

http://www.auto-met.com/subtool/stcat/st_137.html

Suburban tool now owns Taft-Pierce metrology div. and has placed their
book of constants used for compound angle solutions (with illustrations)
he

http://www.subtool.com/st/imgs/BookofConstants.pdf

The following is a link if you want to buy software, (I'd use my money
to buy a Machinery's' Handbook).

https://www.penntoolco.com/catalog/p...categoryID=728

If you are looking for accurate thread profiles, then the tool grind is
just one part of it, using the three wire measurement process is easily
done with 2 sets of different diameter wires to determine the angle of
the thread you just cut.

Matt