Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Fabricating Camera Optical Equipment Lens Adapters

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 21:01:55 -0500, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

From what I could determine, a few of the characteristics for good
lubricants are stable consistency over a wide temperature range, not
out-gassing? (vapor releasing) and anti-bacterial to combat fungus.
FWIW, fungus will actually etch glass, much like squashed bugs on a
windshield do.

Dunno about anti-fungal, but vacuum grease meets the other two
criteria and I've used it on optical components where a very thick
grease seemed desirable. Permatex makes a clear synthetic grease that
has a lighter consistency than vacuum grease and is quite stable, but
I don't about its tendency to outgas. It's much less expensive than
vacuum grease.

--
Ned Simmons