Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Rust removers

On 2008-11-23, Old Chipper wrote:

New Member here! Hello all!
Anyone have a cheap (reasonable) recipe for a chemical rust remover that
can be used in removing medium to heavy rust? I'm always restoring or
reclying something that has rusted. I'm aware of the dangers that can be
involved. We used to do plating, etc. in the shop I worked in. Jenolite or
Naval Jelly is made from what? I was told they contain Phosphoric acid,
but what percentage?

I don't know. Never tried to make it.

I'm not in a hurry, so even a "greener" solution would be okay! Right now
I have all the parts from a 1923 gain drill. Will take me forever to sand
all those parts. Have 1/2 dozen old handsaws and other old axes etc, that
are really bad.

The electrolytic approaches (power supply and baking soda, or
white vinegar and as much salt as you can dissolve) tend to attack one
metal of a pair connected together. In particular, people have tried
using it on things with small springs attached, and the springs
dissolved.

The other thing is that you should take it from the bath right
to a hot water rinse, and once the metal is hot enough, withdraw it,
wipe it with paper towels to remove most of the water, and as soon as it
is dry, coat it with oil. Otherwise it will flash rust.

Too give you an idea of what I'm doing. I have a sand
blaster but that suit gets awful hot here in south TX.

Like -- don't pick up a black steel tool which is out in the
sun. :-) I grew up there. What part of South Texas? I was in Cotulla
(about half way between San Antone and Laredo).

I've read about the
battery charger and baking soda method, anyone know how large a charger is
needed

Well ... I was using a lab power supply which could output
voltages from 0 - 36V, and from 0-5A -- with a current limit adjustment.
The more current, the faster it will work -- or the more area you can
clean in a given unit of time.

and does it work or harm the parent metal?
thanks

Keep rivets, screws, and springs out of what is being cleaned
and you should be fine.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564