Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Shopmade grinder with winch.

On 2008-11-23, Christopher Tidy wrote:
Hi Don,

Sorry for the slight delay in replying...

That's O.K.

[ ... ]

True, but dirty contacts could be a problem in either a digital or film
camera. And you can still take pictures with a mechanical film camera
when the electrical system is not working. You just lose the metering.

Well ... with a Nikon F there *are* no contacts in the camera
body -- unless you count the flash sync contacts. The metering is in
the removable Photomic pentaprism, which can always be replaced with the
plain optical pentaprism, or the waist level finder, and a hand-held
meter can be used.

True, but the F2 only keeps the battery in the body in order to make the
prism more compact. The metering is still in the prism. So I guess there
are four electrical contacts in an F2 body. Of the four Nikon cameras I
own (a Nikkormat FT3, a Nikon EM, a Nikon F2S and a Nikon F2A) I have
never had a problem with the battery contacts. The only time I've had a
problem with the battery contacts is with my SB-11 flash (which
incidentally I love).

O.K. The primary problem with the Photomic and Photomic-TN
finders for the Nikon F is that they use two PX-13 cells -- mercury
cells which are no longer made. (Same for a rather nice digital caliper
from Brown & Sharpe.) At least I didn't pay list price for any of them. :-)

Later cameras (even Nikon) depended on the batteries for shutter
speed determination -- except for a very few speeds (perhaps only one)
which was purely mechanical, so bad contacts pretty much cripples the
camera.

I believe the F3 was the first professional Nikon to have an
electronically timed shutter.

O.K. IIRC, the first ones used electric timing for the slower
speeds -- no gear and escapement train to gum up in the lubricant -- and
I think that anything 1/60th or faster was mechanically timed then.

[ ... ]

Which the right person can repair, without too much difficulty.

For the moment. The skill is being lost, with both mechanical
watches and mechanical cameras becoming more rare.

I get the impression that the repairers we're losing are usually the
ones who are less competent. So in a way, it's a good thing. There are
some great mechanical camera repairers out there today. The guy I send
my F2s to for servicing is a relatively new entrant in the business, but
his work and customer service are first rate. While they may become less
common, mechanical cameras and film are not going to disappear.

O.K. It will be interesting to see what the next ten years or
so brings. That young fellow may die of overwork as the others pass on.

To give an example of another old technology which has not disappeared,
you can still buy gas lamps and mantles. In fact, the most endangered
items are likely older items of high technology. In a hundred years
time, I bet you'll still be able to buy gas mantles, but not SmartMedia
cards or Betamax tapes.

The mantles are becoming controlled -- because they are mildly
radioactive, IIRC -- thorium-232. Some manufacturer's sites have become
"Superfund" sites, so the availability of mantles may not be assured.

As for why they have survived so long -- look at the camping
crowd, which likes the ability to use gasoline fired lanterns instead of
having to carry heavy batteries for a weekend (or longer) camping trip.

[ ... ]

Actually -- later machines can use either PCI framebuffers
(Sun's term for graphics cards), or UPA ones (which are specific to Sun
machines). I've used both in the SB-[12]000 machines.

but are not specific to
a single workstation.

Sun has abandoned the sbus and the corresponding form of the UPA
bus which your Ultra-2 uses in favor of the PCI cards for most things,
and the UPA bus for the faster framebuffers.

I have one of the PCI SCSI cards for an Ultra 60 lying around, waiting
to see if I ever get chance to use it.

Not just for an Ultra-60. It will work with the Ultra-30 (half
of an Ulra-60 -- only one CPU), Sun Fire 280R (my current file server),
Sun Blade 1000 and 2000 (my current workstations) the cheap Sun Ultra 5,
Ultra-10, and Sun Blade 100 (all three of these last machines use IDE
drives, not SCSI or FC-AL drives.

[ ... ]

But the Sun workstation is heavier to move -- especially if you
have a 19" CRT monitor on top of it. :-) (That was what really motivated
me to move to LCD monitors, since every time I wanted to change
something in the Ultra-2 I had to lift that heavy monitor from on top of
it and find someplace to put it. :-)

True enough. A few years back I was given one of those monitors and I
carried it about 1/4 mile home. It nearly killed me :-).

It *would* have killed me -- to carry it that far. I'm an old
phart these days. :-)

Actually, my Sun Ultra 2 (which I am using to type this) looks like it
needs a repair of some kind. The clock doesn't keep time when the
machine is switched off. I had this problem with another Ultra 2 and
thought it was the NVRAM battery. So I bought a new NVRAM and within a
week or so the machine died completely,

New from Sun -- or from an eBay or other used dealer?

I got it from an electronic component supplier in early 2006. I sent it
back for a refund when the workstation died.

O.K.

Note that the company which actually makes the chips (CMOS
NVRAM, battery and clock all in a single package) have changed the chip
slightly, and it no longer works with the Suns. Sun was depending on a
behavior which was not in the specs, and the updated chip no longer
behaves that way. Newer systems now work. And the Sun Blade [12]000
machines now have a coin cell in a clip on the system board to run the
clock, and use a serial EEPROM instead of the CMOS.

A separate cell is a great idea. I guess at the time the Ultra 2 was
announced, no one cared about the cost of a new NVRAM in a £25,000
workstation.

The interesting thing is that one of the SPARCstation clones,
the Solbourne S4000 and S4000dx (I have one of each) used a bipolar ROM
for the HOSTID and the MAC address, and the CMOS RAM and clock were