Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default Rust removers

Old Chipper wrote:
New Member here! Hello all!
Anyone have a cheap (reasonable) recipe for a chemical rust remover
that can be used in removing medium to heavy rust? I'm always
restoring or reclying something that has rusted. I'm aware of the
dangers that can be involved. We used to do plating, etc. in the shop
I worked in. Jenolite or Naval Jelly is made from what? I was told
they contain Phosphoric acid, but what percentage?
I'm not in a hurry, so even a "greener" solution would be okay! Right
now I have all the parts from a 1923 gain drill. Will take me forever
to sand all those parts. Have 1/2 dozen old handsaws and other old
axes etc, that are really bad. Too give you an idea of what I'm
doing. I have a sand blaster but that suit gets awful hot here in
south TX. I've read about the battery charger and baking soda method,
anyone know how large a charger is needed and does it work or harm
the parent metal?
thanks

I use Evaporust. It is effective, less toxic and less hassle than acids.
Also can be reused until it gets black. Relatively cheap if bought in gallon
quantities.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC