Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
72 Mach1 72 Mach1 is offline

Default Rust removers

"Steve W." wrote in message
Karl Townsend wrote:
Iggy is right diluted muratic is fast and cheap, wants to re-rust. I stop
it with a squirt of purple engine cleaner (strong caustic) after a water
rinse. Still need to oil or paint.

For many parts I like phosphoric acid better. I buy it already diluted as
"Lime Away" cleaner at my local Fleet Farm. This works differently, it
converts rust to a black iron compound that won't re-rust. If you'd
rather pay more, you can get the same chemistry in Naval Jelly or rusty
metal prep.

The electrolytic method others have mentioned is best for a small amount
of rust on a delicate part.

Karl

Define "small amount of rust" I have used electrolytic cleaning on car
frames, trailer frames and entire body shells.

The catch is knowing what to use. Baking soda doesn't work very well. What
you want to use is Washing Soda, AKA Sodium Carbonate, AKA PH Plus pool
chemical.

Fill the container with water. Now attach the wires to the parts and toss
them in the water. Now add the washing soda to the water until you hit the
maximum current those parts require (just watch the needle on the power
supply/charger) when the needle stops rising stop adding chemical.

I find that by using a warm solution, the process works better and of course
faster.
Rick