Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_2_] Steve W.[_2_] is offline

Default Rust removers

Old Chipper wrote:
Old Chipper had written this in response to
http://www.www.rittercnc.com/metalwo...rs-152777-.htm :

-------------------------------------
72 Mach1 wrote:

Google "electrolysis rust removal". I've used it on a number
of rusted
parts, does not harm the parent metal.

Think I'll try it.
Can you reuse the mixture or do you start new each time? Also put a few
parts in a 50-50 mix of molasses and water. Found this on another forum
hope it will work, had to give it a try sounds to strange to work, will
post the results, later.
thanks

Molasses works but make SURE you wash it off very well. It also takes
quite a while. I have tried just about anything while doing restorations
and find electrolysis to be about the easiest and least labor intensive.

You can reuse the solution until it stops conducting. What I do then is
run it through a homebuilt filter setup. Just a small pump with a LARGE
filter. Then recharge the solution with some more chemical. Once it gets
REALLY bad I run it through the filter then run it into the evaporator I
built. That gives me the water back and the solids get tossed. Then I
start over.

The tank you use is limited by your imagination. I have used tarps and
pallets, large plastic totes, and poly drums.

Make SURE you DON'T try this process indoors. The process breaks the
water down into hydrogen and oxygen and can REALLY ruin your day if it
happens to build up and ignite. I use one of the cheap easy up
structures to protect the set-up from rain.

Power supply wise a battery charger works fine.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York