Posted to uk.d-i-y
BigWallop[_2_] BigWallop[_2_] is offline

Default Hanging doors

"R D S" wrote in message
A wave of pride came over me yesterday, I had hung (hanged?) 3 upstairs
doors using our bathroom as a workshop (hardly New Yankee) and 'er
indoors said to me..."That's the most mess you've ever made!"

Anyway, our house was built 100 years ago and apparently they had no
concern whatsoever for level/square so much planing was needed.
All the doors fit and open and close adequately but there isn't a
uniform gap all around between the door and the casing. I had to call it
a day as night was drawng in and I wanted closure. The door sides are
straight but some gaps range from 2-4mm from one corner to another, I
can't decide whether to pull them and plane/sand until perfect.
How anal is it normal to be about this?

Also, in the other 'plane', when closing one of the doors...
the door is aligned at the hinge end but at the handle end the door
connects at the bottom but there is a 5mm gap at the top, the casing
must be twisted.
I can come to a compromise on this by budging one of the hinges or if I
force closure (with a little bolt at the top) will the door eventually
conform?

Cheers
Rick

PS, when the other half removes the old doors before you start is this
her being helpful or devious, because as we were buying the doors she
was muttering something about my tendancy to 'lose momentum'!

After all the settling and movement throughout the one hundred years, it's a
wonder you are able to get such tight measures as 4 or 5 mm of a gap. :-)

We've had to remove and replace the stops on nearly all the doors in this
old tenement flat of ours. One door was so far out at the top, that it
stuck out of the frame into the room by an inch and half at the top.
Another door fitted perfectly into its frame, but only after it was extended
with a matching wedge shape piece of timber down the hinge side. That took
a lot planing down. :-)

Just be glad you have working doors at all.

And, she is being helpful. When she removed the old doors, she actually got
you to notice the holes in the walls where doors should be. Male mind says
there is something wrong with the scenario, and has to fix it. LOL