Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Doorbell always uses electricity!

wrote:

My best friend has degrees in electronics, electrial power and once was a
design engineer for at the time a major power transformer manufacturer.

But didnt manage to explain to you the most important difference, if he is even aware of it.

I asdked him about standby losses, he rreports it depends on ntheb
transformer. they can be built to be ultra low, which cost more, or
lossy and cheap to build.

Switch mode wall warts, with no transformer at all, both cost peanuts to build and have almost no standby losses.

government should require energy efficency numbers on everything with minimum standards

No thanks. I'll decide for myself what makes sense instead.