Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default How can I seal caulking cartridges?

on 11/21/2008 6:10 PM Walter R. said the following:
I often find myself with half a cartridge of expensive caulking material in
a cartridge. I am talking about the cartridge that has a movable bottom and
a spout and fits in a ratcheting dispenser.

I have tried sticking nails in the spout but, invariably, the darned things
dry out or congeal anyway.

Anyone have a workable solution to this problem? - Thanks

The biggest problem with those tapered nozzles is that the product
solidifies in the tapered nozzle and the 'plug' cannot be pulled out
through the smaller hole in the end. If lucky, you wind up pushing the
plug, or pieces of it, into the cylinder where it could interfere with
the flow of the contents.
I don't remember what brand I purchased one time, but the whole nozzle
unscrewed off the tube, so that the entire plug could be pushed out
through the larger end.
I have had good results with wood or plastic plugs rather than metal
plugs. Golf tees, pieces of doweling, plastic pen caps.
The best way to seal the nozzles is to pump a small amount out of the
nozzle, release the trigger pressure, plug the hole, then remove the
cylinder from the gun. That way, less air will be captured in the nozzle
and tube.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY