Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Chris F.[_2_] Chris F.[_2_] is offline

Default Strange Convergence Problem

I'm working on a 1989 Philips 27" set with a very unusual problem. The set
was initially dead, and after getting it going I noticed the convergence was
way out of alignment. But strangely, neither the yoke nor convergence
magnets have moved from their factory positions, and there are no linearity
or pincuishoning problems with the raster itself. With a cross-hatch pattern
displayed, I observed the following; the green vertical lines are perfectly
straight, but the red and blue lines are on opposing sides of the green
lines at the top, and slowly reverse sides towards the bottom. The
convergence cannot be aligned even remotely correctly. I've never seen
something like this on an in-line CRT before, except once. I once had a 19"
set with convergence that could not be corrected, and I accidently
discovered that tipping the set sideways caused the convergence to correct
itself. Since the yoke and magnets were solidly mounted, I assumed there was
an internal defect in the CRT, and junked the set.
I should point out that this very heavy console set was subjected to a
bumpy 40-mile ride here, in the back of a pickup truck, and I'm wondering if
the CRT may have sustained internal damage. Please tell me I'm wrong.......