Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jon Fairbairn Jon Fairbairn is offline

Default cleaning blackened stainless steel

devonsteve writes:

Hi Can anyone tell me how to clean blackened stainless steel pans ,
the pan is clean but the steel has gone black in areas , inside and
out. (presume her indoors let it boil dry!) Is it possible to make it
shine again ?

Depending on what the black is, you might have some success
with boiling a really concentrated solution of dishwasher
powder in it. You might find you need something else, but
if you already have dishwasher powder, it's minimal effor to
try this (it has worked for me, though not on every type of
blackening). Harder to do on the outside, though.

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2008-04-26)