Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default Doorbell always uses electricity!

Jim Redelfs wrote:
In article ,
"Bill" wrote:

This thread has seemed to hit a nerve!

More than one, to be sure.

Why are so many people getting upset that I am working to eliminate
"vampire loads" in my house and reduce my electric bill?

Since you finally revealed the motivation for your actions, I can
address it specifically: Your efforts, particularly with the doorbell
transformer switch, are misapplied.

If, instead of using the clothes dryer, you were to hang a couple or
three loads of laundry on a line to dry, you would save more money on
your electric bill than you would during a lifetime without so-called
"phantom" loads against your bill.

Anyway here are the facts about "vampire power" for those
who are interested in this

I couldn't care less about the vampire power consumption in my home.
The cost of such usage is the price I pay - WILLINGLY - for the
convenience of not worrying about such trivial and ridiculous things.

I cheerfully decline to unplug my cell phone charger between uses. That
the transformer powering my rarely used doorbell consumes power does not
concern me in the least.

My home is well insulated. My motor vehicles are sufficiently fuel
efficient for what they do for me. I turn off lights in unoccupied
rooms and turn down the thermostat (during heating season) during the
night and when the house is unoccupied. Likewise, I turn it up (during
the cooling season) under the same conditions.

I do not litter. I sparingly use the most benign, approved chemicals
that will do what I need.

With all of that done, I am content to ignore so-called "phantom" or
"vampire" energy consumption. It is, comparatively, such a miniscule
part of my total energy consumption, that I don't even think of it.
This silly thread has caused me to think of it and, in doing so, I am
even more convinced now that I am doing the right thing.

I appreciate your conservation efforts although I believe your time
would be more productive spent volunteering at a hospital or social
support organization.

If, after you have implemented all the "first tier" conservation
practices and improvements, you wish to further pursue the incredibly
minor conservation items, be my guest.

I thank God that I live in a country and society where you are free to
pursue such things. I further thank God that I am free to NOT do
likewise. I will always remain vigilant that such freedom continues
despite the ongoing efforts of those that would deny those freedoms.

Translation: I will vigorously oppose the day when a Doorbell
Transformer Switch is mandated by my government at any level.

Second translation: Stick a CF bulb in it and SCREW IT!

The other point worth making is that the power and cost figures for
standby power are routinely exaggerated. Those with political interest
in having everyone else unplug everything are either not competent in
the subject, or are happy to be lses than honest to try to motivate
others to unplug.

And of course, biggest of all... youve only got one life, try to spend
the time doing something useful. Speaking of which.... later.

NT