Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wickes dimmer can be used on fluorescents?

In article ,
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:
Please tell us about dimmable ballasts.

I've got Osram ones in the kitchen under the cupboards lighting the
worktops. Had them for several years now, without a tube failure which
seems excellent considering their use - they tend to get left on as a
'there's someone at home' light when I go out. Near enough instant start,
no flicker and cool running.
However, they don't use a conventional dimmer - they use low voltage DC
as a control so all you need is a simple potentiometer. Which would mean
extra wiring if you want the dimmer where the room light switch is.

Any websites?

http://www.bltdirect.com/products.php?cat=499

They are quite expensive compared to 'ordinary' ballasts - but the higher
efficiency and longer tube life might well pay off after a while,
especially if using more expensive colour matching tubes.

--
*Marriage changes passion - suddenly you're in bed with a relative*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.