Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] fictitiousemail@gmail.com is offline

Default Pilot light keeps going out

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 04:26:09 -0800 (PST), Nick
wrote:

I have had this problem for about a year now. The original post he
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....pr%40yahoo.com

Its a 12 year old Worcester combi boiler. When we use the hot water,
it works ok for about 5 mins and then the pilot goes out hence the
flames go out. We have to wait a couple of mins and then re-light the
pilot after a few attempts. The hot water will then work for about 3
mins and then same happens again and so on. The central heating works
fine and will carry on all night if necessary.

Originally we called out Britisg Gas (BG) as we have homecare. They
had no idea what was wrong. I then complained and had 2 more visits.
They could not fnd anything and just made up an execuse that my
central heating was blocked up and needed a flush etc. otherwise they
would not look at my boiler anymore. We had Transco check out gas
pressure and they said everything was ok.

Come April/May and I was really fed of not being able to have proper
running water so decided to replace the boiler. All of a sudden the
problem went away. So we put the new boiler plan on the 'back-burner'
and carried on with the old boiler through the summer months. Then
towards end of Sept it started again and then got progressively worse.
This weekend it went out and would not light up at all again. Note
that this weekend is the coldest of the year so far.

I am no engineer but this points something to do with gas usage or
pressure. First its nothing to do with CH blockage as CH works fine,
its only hot water that triggers the pilot. Secondly the boiler worked
fine during the summer months. Now that it is really cold it is worse.
Could there be some issues with gas pressure?

I am going to cancel BG homecare because they have been useless. How
do I get Transco to give me true facts? I am loathed to spend 2k on a
new boiler installation just because there may be something wrong with
the gas supply.

All ideas welcome.

Could the thermocouple need replacing .Cheaper than a boiler to see if
it is that.