Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best way to sharpen a drill bit? SDS, Hammer, hss

tonyjeffs wrote:
I've just knackered a �12 sds drill bit after one session, cutting a
big hole in a wall for a wc waste,
Usually, I dip a bit in cold water occasionally in such circumstances,
but i got lazy and was impressed the way that SDS bits are slow to get
hot.

Anyway
Tips on sharpening drill bits generally? angle, ordinary hammer, SDS

bench grinder best, angle grinder can also be used if you go easy and
give it plenty of time to cool between short sharpenings.

Many of the sds bits have a sort of nipple on the end, almost a bell
or bobble hat shape - is that important ?
I generally try and sharpen things dangerously with an angle grinder -
a stone takes forever.
Can I maybe buy a bit sharpening machine?

Where do I find the FAQ - I ought to know the address by heart.
Thanks

Sony

SDS - I bought a cordless P drill from B&Q. �50. It is quiet,
determined, very good. The disadvantage is that the new battery lasts
for about one 20 minute job. This worries me that after a few months,
the batteries will need changing ever five minutes. So perhaps corded
is better.

Either its carp or you were pushing it much too hard. You should get
far more use time out of a mcuh cheaper tool than that.

Nevertheless, really good at the price, and a good intro to SDS which
I must thank this group for telling me about recently.

For drilling wood the following bits use far less energy per hole:
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....twist_drill s

NT