Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] szilagyic@gmail.com is offline

Default JVC HR-S9800U shutting off, help!

On Nov 22, 2:02*pm, UCLAN wrote:
wrote:
I have a JVC HR-S9800U that I bought used a couple years back. *It's a
great machine and has been working great. *I had it unplugged from the
power as I have only been using it occasionally. Just today it started
acting up where it will play a tape for 5-10 minutes, then simply just
shut off. *When it shuts off, I noticed that all of the settings go
back to factory default when I power it back on. *I have tried
unplugging the VCR from the outlet and let it sit for about 30
minutes, but it's still doing this. *Has anybody else experienced this
and know of any other solutions? *I really appreciate the help and
feedback!!

*I just wanted to add one more observation... it seems to only shut
off when I play one particular tape. *I put in another tape and it
works fine! *Now I'm confused as to why one tape would cause the VCR
to shut off, while the other does not. *One note, the tape that is
causing it to shut off is quite old, probably close to 25 years old,
but it's in good condition.

Try doing a complete FF and rewind of that old tape. If it still does it,
toss it. If you *really* need what's on that tape, try playing it in another
VCR. If it works, record a copy of it ON A NEW TAPE on your VCR.

I tried that and it seemed to help a little, it played for about 30
minutes then the VCR turned itself off again. Unfortunately I am
trying to capture this tape to save the footage. It plays fine in
another cheap VCR, I was just hoping to use the JVC VCR since it's a
better machine for capturing with much better quality. I always
thought the JVC models were better with older tapes, it doesn't make
much sense as to why the machine turns itself off. If you have any
further ideas I am up for trying anything at this point.

Thanks again...

--
Chris