Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric Sockets

Tim S wrote:

tvmo coughed up some electrons that declared:

Hello,

I seem to be having some problems in my house with the socket circuit.

1) A couple of the sockets will power a low voltage light but not a
hair dryer

Probably a loose connection. Might be other things, but if it were me, I'd
isolate the circuit, prove it dead, and go round and tighten all the
terminals starting with the bad sockets - ideally check the lot. At the
same time, I'd look carefully and see if anything's got hot as this is a
possibility - may need to replace anything which has overheated. Probably
won't take an electrician long to resolve this unless it turns out to be a
cable fault, in which case, it depends...

2) Switching on the dish washer, which is on a separate ring to the
majority of the sockets in my house, causes frequency issues on my TV

You mean interference? I'm guessing the mains filter in the dishwasher may
have gone bad, but I don't really know for sure. How old is the machine?

3) The washer dryer frequently trips the electric.

Is it tripping an RCD or blowing a fuse/tripping an MCB?

Before I call an electrician can someone give me some ideas of where
the problem could lie.

Thanks

Seems like you may have a combination of problems, hopefully reasonably
inexpensive to rectify, but problems 1 and 3 demand urgent attention
because something is clearly not happy and it's sounds unsafe. Don't use
the problem sockets obviously until they're fixed.

Cheers

Tim

Pretty good summary. Number 3 might be seirous, but more likely not a
significant safety problem. If you dont know your MCBs from your RCDs,
just post a pic of the fusebox.

NT