Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Garage Ceiling Sheetrock Wavy/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

infiniteMPG wrote:
SUGGESTION..... We have a pretty quick and clean way to remove the
popcorn. We have a neat scraper we got that a shopping plastic bag
attaches to and you put a wetting solution on the popcorn, scrap and
toss the bags. Not much mess. The sheet rock in the garage ceiling,
although warped, is not in terrible shape.

Since we don't have the money to pay someone to do this and the two of
us would be taxed trying to place 4X8 5/8" sheet rock even with a
lift, what if we removed the popcorn, painted the ceiling, then
running perpendicular to the joists we screwed stained 1X4 pine strips
on top of the sheet rock every 2-feet or so???? Would give it a nice
look. The pine would support the sheet rock and we'd save from trying
to do 480-square feet of new sheet rock (and having to work around
light fixtures, garage door brackets, outlets, steps in the wall,
attic openings, etc).

????????

Give it a try- worst it can do is NOT work, and you are no worse off
than you were, other than the cost of the scraper and the pine strips.
which would always work as garden stakes. Had to do a similar thing on
the carport at my house down south- idiot sub used too-thin plywood for
carport ceiling, and rather than rip'n'replace, we just went crossways
to the trusses every 2 feet, plus around the edges, with 1x4s painted
the same color as ceiling. Looks okay, a lot better than the bowed
plywood and gapped joints.

--
aem sends...