Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default Garage Ceiling Sheetrock Wavy/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

"Joe" wrote in message
On Nov 22, 10:23 am, infiniteMPG wrote:
In our almost 30-year old Florida home, we have a garage that is about
20-ft X 24-ft. We had the roof completely replaced several years ago
and have been doing some upgrades. The garage is a normal garage with
a popcorned sheet rock ceiling. Between some dampness from the
Florida weather and a few bumps from stuff in the attic, the sheet
rock is wavy between the joists in several places and in other places
broken away slightly from the joists. The garage door mounts are
bolted to the ceiling and the garage is your usual 30-year collection
of stored stuff and tools.

We could strip the popcorn without much trouble but our question is if
there is any way to fix the wavy sheetrock without having to rip
everything out of the garage and re-do the entire ceiling (a major
project). Would we need to put runners between the joists to screw it
back in to between the joists? Is there any quick and easy way to do
that if that's the only solution? Once sheet rock warps is it shot or
can it be pulled back into alignment (we don't need it perfect, this
is just the garage)?

Any suggestions and helpful hints greatly appreciated.

You may want to check your building codes. Some places require a
garage to have 5/8" drywall, usually mandated IIRC if it is attached
to the house. In your case since it is the detested popcorn finish,
just replace the whole ceiling to save on labor. Once the old ceiling
is removed, the joists can be leveled for a good fit for new drywall.
A rented lift can get it all in place in a couple of hours. Good luck.

Joe

I agree with Joe...Remove the old rock,strap the ceiling 16OC shimming where
necessary under the strapping and re-hang with 5/8 Fire Code drywall to
bring it up to code. Your house insurance may even go down a
little......Good luck...Old brittle sheetrock that has been bowed for a long
period of time will never go back up and stay for long....