Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier Mikepier is offline

Default question on T-stat w/remote sensor wiring

I have a White Rodgers T-stat in a multi-family home that I'm trying
to hook up a remote temp sensor. I have a basic steam boiler with the
connections to the T-stat as shown on the top of page 4
http://www.white-rodgers.com/wrdhom/...7-5748___1.pdf
When I tried hooking up the remote sensor, I followed the instructions
of cutting a jumper on the T-stat and also setting the programming to
"sensor on", but it still does not read the sensor. One thing it
mentions in the manual is that the sensor needs constant 24v and that
I might need an "isolation relay" on power stealing t-stats as shown
on the bottom of page 2:
http://www.white-rodgers.com/wrdhom/...pg0172_175.pdf.
Now this confuses me. I thought that I do have 24v coming from the
boiler Xfrmr. Is this isolation relay necessary? And is the Xfrmr they
show on page 2, is this a seperate Xfmr from the one on the boiler?