Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default caulk removal

ken wrote in
:

we need to add new caulk to our shower floor, but the old caulk must
be removed first

What is the best way to do this?

thanks

Ken

Assuming it is caulk hopefully it's only be around the perimeter of the floor
at most. Typically everything is grout but caulk at wall/floor junctions
is good since that's a prime candidate for leaks. If there is caulk in
the "field" of the floor I'd say this was a quick hack patch job.

When I have redone the perimeter recaulk, razor blades, knives, scrapers
and what ever else seems to do the job is what I use. Get it all out.
Before recaulking it HAS to be clean and dry for the new caulk to adhere
and last. For that, a rotory tool such as a Dremel or a Harbor Freight
cheapo. If you're seeing dust then that's a good thing in my opinion.
Means the caulk is gone and you're hitting tile. Vacuum it out. Clean it
as caulk tube recommends (ie may say isopropyl alcohol).

Recently redid one and tried LATICRETEŽ Premium Acrylic Caulk I got at
Blue Borg. Tried it because it came in a color I wanted. And like grout,
it actually comes in a sanded versions. Not something you find in the
generic silicones.

http://www.laticrete.com/Homeowners/...0/Default.aspx

Like six bucks for a tube but silicone isn't much less than that. Seems
to adhere and dry extremely well. Water cleanup is what surprised me.
Test of time will tell.