Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Chuck Safety

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 10:50:28 -0500, the infamous Bob Engelhardt
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

... anyone caught defeating (or working on a
machine with a defeated) safety mechanism will be fired on the spot.

Easy for you to say. Machinists aren't a commodity, you don't get a
replacement from MSC. Presumably the guy you just fired was doing an
acceptable or better job or he wouldn't be there. Will his replacement
be as good? Better a known devil than an unknown one, if you can find a
way to work with the known one.

It's the safety warning and the threat which prevent that. Remember,
we were talking about signs, not actual firings.

But if someone knowingly defeats a safety mechanism, shouldn't they be
fired for it? If an OSHA nazi saw it, the company could lose its
licensing, or be fined, or be shut down, right?

LJ, who hasn't always done things the safest way but likely would
_not_ risk being fired if the company I worked for had that warning
posted.

--
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.
-- Jules Renard