Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Winterize irrigation system - where to attach a compressor?

"Mensur" wrote in message
On Nov 21, 12:33 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"Mensur" wrote in message

I have anirrigationsystem that I need to winterize. In the past I
used to hire a guy who installed the sprinklers but since I already
have the compressor and everything else I need, I'd rather save $70.
I've seen him hook up the compressor somewhere on the back low but I
don't know where. I was hoping that someone would be able to tell me
where to attach it and if there is anything else special I would need
to do.

Here are some pictures of my backflow:

http://www.medicfamily.com/tmp/DSC02319.JPG
http://www.medicfamily.com/tmp/DSC02320.JPG
http://www.medicfamily.com/tmp/DSC02321.JPG

Thanks!

Just looking at it, I'd guess that you want to connect to the inlet on the
left,
so the backflow valve gets flushed in addition to the pipes. Close the left
blue
valve, open the screwdriver valve on the left and the blue valve on the right.
Screw an air hose fitting to the screwdriver valve hook up the hose and turn
on
the air. I don't really know if this will flush the valve sufficiently.

If there are control valves for zones, operate each with air pressure applied
clear each zone.

You could look in the meter box for additional valves and fittings to allow
you
to flush or drain the pipe from it also.

Some sprinkler systems have automatic drain valves to avoid all this. Just
turn
off the water and open valves to relieve the pressure, and the automatic drain
valves open to let the water out at the appropriate low spots.

I wasn't sure if you saw the arrow pointing to the left (meaning that
water flow is from right to left). In that case, the backflow would
not get flushed as you are suggesting. In addition, I read that you
really should not run the air through the backflow. Is that true?

I missed the arrow, so reverse my instructions. I'd call the manufacturer to
ask about the air issue if that is a concern.