Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
E Z Peaces E Z Peaces is offline

Default Doorbell always uses electricity!

Craig M wrote:
That pulse can pack a pretty good hit, want to try something, flash a 9 volt
batt on the low voltage side of a doorbell transformer, and feel what you
get on the other side.
that pulse can back feed through the house wiring, and posiblilty zap
something else.
Thats all I was worried about.

I used to do that with a AA cell and a transformer made to energize two
conductors of a telephone cable to light a dial. Occasionally I found
an unsuspecting person to hold the plug.

I also used to enjoy putting my tongue on the terminals of a 9 volt
battery.

The doorbell might absorb some of the pulse, but not as well as a
resistive load. I agree that if you didn't get shocked pressing the
button, you might get shocked releasing it.