Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The end of flushing toilets

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 11/21/08 06:23 am Bob wrote:

How about the toilet tax in Austrailia

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24670784-2,00.html

Note that this is merely a proposal made to one State legislature.

Thirty years ago in Australia it was not uncommon to find toilet tanks
with two concentric handles: one for liquid-only flushing, the other for
flushing poop.

Here in W. Michigan, our township has two separate charges based on
water consumption: one is for its supply, the other for its disposal.
This has the disadvantage of charging the sewage-treatment fee on the
water that in fact gets sprinkled on our lawns, but we offset that to
some extent by using low-flush toilets and even then flushing as
infrequently as possible.

As for "dry" toilets... A high school not far from here has waterless
urinals in the men's bathrooms. On the one occasion I was there they
seemed to work fine -- no smell.

Perce

Around here, you can install an auxiliary water meter
for things like sprinklers or cooling towers. That
water is not assessed a sewer charge.

TDD