Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Advice on new range

On Nov 20, 8:49*pm, "Pete C." wrote:
SteveB wrote:

"Boden" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
. ..

After a measly 32 years, my range has cratered.

Any rec's for a new one? *$500-$700 price range?

Any ones to stay away from?

Thanks a heap,
-Zz

Stay away from electric.

Steve
I agree. *We have a gas cooktop on one island and an electric cook top in
another. *With few exceptions my wife always cooks on the gas one. It is
more responsive. *Heats faster and cools down faster. *I can't imagine
cooking with a wok or boiling lobsters on an electric unit. *A 20,000 BTU
gas burner heats up fast.

Boden

It comes down to this for ME, Boden. *People who know how to cook choose
gas. *It's very simple.

Now, IF I am stuck somewhere (like where I live now) where gas is not
available, I CAN use electricity. *However, I prefer using the $50 used
propane four burner stove in my cabin to the nice electric range I have in
my house.

We are going to do a kitchen remodel as soon as our ship is released from
Somali custody, and the numero uno priority is having a large propane tank
installed and gas piped to the new GAS range.

Steve

People who know how to cook just cook.

Yeah, and people who play the violin just play. I suppose that makes
a $100 violin from the pawn shop about the same as a Stradavarius. I
provided a survey earlier that showed 96% of pro chefs prefer gas.
If it didn't make a rat's ass of difference to them and they think
electric and gas are just as good, why is that? I wonder what and how
often some of you guys actually cook.

While I have a nice dual fuel
stove in my current house, the previous house had a crappy old electric
stove and I produced great dinners there too.

From the small amount of appliance shopping I've done, it appears that
at any given price point, you can get a better quality electric stove
than gas stove.- Hide quoted text -

If you want to save money, that's perfectly fine. But it doesn't
change the fact that pro chefs and most serious cooks prefer gas.