Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Advice on new range

On Nov 20, 12:59*pm, ransley wrote:
On Nov 20, 9:37*am, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

On 11/20/08 11:24 am SteveB wrote:

After a measly 32 years, my range has cratered.

Any rec's for a new one? *$500-$700 price range?

Any ones to stay away from?

Thanks a heap,
Stay away from electric.

Why? My wife was a Home Ec. major in college and has taught Home Ec. She
has used both gas and electric ranges over the years and seems perfectly
content with her new ceramic-top electric range. We could have had gas
run to the kitchen for a gas range (the furnace is gas), but she decided
that electric was fine.

Perce

Unless you have subsidised Hydro you pay alot more to cook, I pay 30%
more per Btu for electric. Now Electric companies over the last year
has successfully got major rate increases put through that will stay
in effect, last I saw Ng is in a big down trend. Cooking on electric,
no pro will use electric nor will I. Plus electric electric elements
dont last.- Hide quoted text -

Must be a matter of application and where one is located?

Assuming the OP was asking about ordinary domestic use, where the
requiremnts are to cook daily normal , meals for several people,
conveniently, quietly and safely without wasting a lot of heat to
outside through oven hoods etc.

We also use a microwave for quick heating, re-heating etc. And also
the usual appliances, e.g. toaster etc. We do use some propane in a
camper trailer, but don't drive that much because of the increased
cost of gasoline!

For restaurant/haute-cuisine or celebrity kitchens the requirement
could be very different.

Electricity here (95%+ generated by clean hydro) has gone up slightly
in cost and now averages ten Canadian cents per kilowatt hour. Approx
say 8 to 9 cents US. Or around 4 to 5 pence in the UK. Most here use
electricity for home heating also.

Have found that even used electric stoves are low maintenance and with
electric there no requirements for bottled gas tanks to be so many
feet away from doors or windows of a dwelling etc. etc. or gas
delivery problems. (There is not piped in gas here although we produce
it (and oil) out from wells on the Newfoundland Grand Banks. It's a
tough maritime climate but is a politically stable area of the world;
compared to say Nigeria or competing with the Somali pirates. But
they'd have to come a long way (Transatlantic) to take over a Canadian
oil/gas rig!!!!!!

Also to the point is that huge amounts of electricity are generated
further north at Churchill Falls (Named after that UK compatriot of
FDR) and some of it is exported via Canada to the northern USA. E.g.
New York State.

That production is being greatly increased by another project called
The Lower Churchill during next few years so the prospect is that
politically stable sources of electricity which is less polluting and
foreseeably will remain cheaper, especially when electric vehicles
become common, is the way of the future.

Regards.