Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Joerg Joerg is offline

Default Digital to analog TV signal converter - which one?

Roger Blake wrote:

[...]

The problem you'll find with all of this is that the digital signal
does not degrade gracefully. Where before you might have gotten a
little snow or ghosting you will now get freezing, pixelization,
audio dropouts, and bad lip synch, all of which conspire to make
programs unwatchable.

We've adopted the habit of recording things and then spooling forward
almost to the end to see if the recording stuck. Nothing is more
aggravating in TV watching than having a great movie pixelate and drop
out after having seen half of it. So, you end up recording stuff you
normally would watch live, meaning all that DTV is being rendered in
good old low-res NTSC just like before. Progress? Yeah, right.

After installing a Winegard pre-amp on our rooftop antenna and new
RG6 cabling, reception is mostly OK but there are still annoying
dropouts at times. Rotating the antenna sometimes helps, but it is
difficult to find a position where all of the digital stations will
work acceptably well. (None of this was a problem with analog reception.
I personally believe digital TV to be a dirtbag technology but we are
unfortunately stuck with it.)

I tend to agree. Beaucoup dropping out of the signals out here. It's
like "Hey, clouds are rolling in so we might as well forget watching
that movie tonight and do something else".

[...]

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/