Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] vk3bfa@hotmail.com is offline

Default MIG and Arc differences

Hi all - started my welding unit, first time with a MIG welder -
WOW!!! what FANTASTIC machines. Only trouble is, my LCD helmet, with a
fixed setting of DIN 13 goes so dark I cant see the weld line - all I
can see is the arc, and maybe a little each side of it. So doing a
straight line is impossible, it wanders off.

With my DC inverter Arc welder, no problems - the arc provides plenty
of light, I can see what I am welding, no problems...

So - whats going on? - does MIG give more or less arc intensity, do I
need to get a helmet with a different DIN setting? - any input
welcome.

Andrew VK3BFA.