Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Stock up on Nitromoors lads.

wrote:
On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 00:31:15 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember Owain
saying something like:

"Tacrolimus severe overdosage after intake of masked grapefruit in
orange marmalade"
http://www.springerlink.com/content/vj2v7j3wux06201p/
Nasty. I couldn't get the article, but it mentions liver transplant
patients, to whom I asssume grapefruit is a hazard.
Same thing goes for statins, and if grapefruit is present in some
marmalades it's something to be wary of.

I know that bit about statins but I was told that eating grapefruit
wasn't a hazard but reduced the effectiveness of the statins ....cos I
like grapefruit

In case anyone wishes to look further, you could do worse than start he

http://www.powernetdesign.com/grapefruit/

(That covers lots of medications - not just statins.)

and, maybe, this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_drugs_affected_by_grapefruit

--
Rod