Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Joerg Joerg is offline

Default Digital to analog TV signal converter - which one?

Gizmofiddler wrote:
"Wayne Tiffany" wrote in message
The time has come here in the midwest USA for me to finally get with the
program and decide on a converter before my "gift" card expires. A quick
search of Best Buy web site brings up three: Apex for $50, Insignia for
$60, and Samsung for $180.

Are there opinions out there as to reasons to pick one of these, or
something else not found here, or whatever? Any reason not to grab the
cheap one? I know Apex isn't a high quality brand, but is Insignia any
better than Apex? I'm not spending $180 on a converter - not worth it to
me.

WT

The Insignia is OK (I have one - bought at Best Buy), but I believe the main
difference among the boxes is the TV programming guide options. The Insignia
shows only the next few hours of programming - other brands will show much
more in advance with alot more features. Try to view the boxes in action and
play with the menus before buying.

Menus are wrong a lot anyhow. The topper: I was looking forward to a
western and a different movie played. Some stupid thriller. The menu
still showed the western while (!) the wrong and totally unannounced
movie played. Not worth it IMHO.

No pass thru? No big deal, I just switch connectors if I have to - is pretty
much irrelevant after Feb unless you have some sort of DVD - VCR setup that
requires it.

Unless you have small community broadcasters who are exempt from digital.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.