Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default McGyver resource: The Circular File

On 2008-11-20, Winston wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:

(...)

The second time, (for whatever reason) the line breaks were not
between quote mark pairs, and things were fine when I opened it in
StarOffice.

I took your advice and published the latest version as an attachment.
I've eliminated the second tab (or sheet) so both the Imperial and
Metric versions are on the same page. Please let me know if this
works better for you. I know it worked better for me!

(...)

Oh -- not things like the remaining lengths of hex 12L14 (6' and
less) and other purchased bar or sheet stock.

I'm not going to dictate what materials show up in the sheet.
If you find it is useful, then it goes in.

Example: Jim Wilkins added various sizes of iron and brass pipe
along with some excellent usage notes.

Example: I added 1/2" square tube stock. I found it to be very useful,
so it's in.

Having said that, I would like emphasize that the larger goal is to
provide millions of 'eureka' moments. I want to give us hobbyists
cheap or free sources of parts that we might not have thought about
before.

Example: The 4 mm diameter, 88 mm long precision shafts I scrapped
out of the aforementioned floppy drives work perfectly as 'tommy bars'
for adjusting my lathe chucks. Their extra length allows my weak,
tired old hands to properly adjust the chucks much more easily that
do the stock bars provided for the purpose. Those shafts will show
up in the next edition of the Circular File.

O.K. There are also nice bearings in hard drives as well
--sometime difficult to extract cleanly.

That is the area we need to explore. Magnets I extracted from
HD voicecoil drives work great holding up prints, for example.

The super flat disks themselves could see second life as
fancy hubcaps for your next robot.

The flat pancake motor in the floppy drives are just begging for
a purpose! I just want us to take greater advantage of the stuff we
might otherwise throw away.

(...)

Spreadsheets just don't seem to be tailored to do what I want --
I use either C language programs, shell scripts, or programs like
awk and sed processing plain text files to do things which I want.

After the Circular File firms up in structure, feel free to write an
awk script to convert the .csv for use in your favorite database program.
No one said you must use it in spreadsheet form!

The spreadsheet is just the most convenient format I could envision.
Now that everything is on one page, the Circular File just became
much more accessible for everybody. And thanks you you, DoN the
distribution process is much cleaner because it is an attachment
rather than inline.

(...)

BTW Is the GoJo container empty or still loaded with GoJo?

I'm on my last bottle, but never fear because I ordered a new case of
them yesterday! That is good stuff!

--Winston