Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Our water heater is 14 years old - replace it?

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 11/19/08 10:38 am HeyBub wrote:

I've been reading various installation/operation manuals online and
see that the pipe from the T&P valve should go to a floor drain. We
don't have a floor drain in the basement utility room where the
water heater and HVAC is located; the present overflow pipe has a
bucket under it. The sump (with pump) is two rooms away. There is a
wimpy little pump that pumps the a/c condensate to the sump via a
skinny plastic tube that runs up and above the suspended ceiling.

An alternative configuration is to run the output of the T&P valve
up into the attic, across, and out the soffit.

You don't want to be around the output of the sucker when it blows.

People tell me that that would be a code violation:: T&P valve must
not discharge uphill.

Hmm. Both of mine (I have a duplex) go up and over, then back down inside
the brick veneer. There is an exhaust pipe about 1' above the ground (with
an elbow pointing down).

Your observation does, however, make sense in that any water trapped in the
pipe may linger around the valve causing corrosion.