Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

Default Surface mount chip problem

"N_Cook" wrote in
:

jamma-plusser wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 10:58:21 -0000, "N_Cook"
wrote:

Tiniest of blobs of conductive epoxy on the cut end of some 40 gauge
or

less
copper wire , then other end soldered to the trace, while heatsinking
the middle?
How to get a tiny blob ? warm up the epoxy slightly and heat up the
wire prior to epoxying ? don't know have not tried it at any time

Thanks, I really like that idea. Only problem is that conductive epoxy
is very expensive (due to the silver content) so is there a cheaper
and equally effective alternative?

Has anyone ever tried grinding gold of 70s TTL board edge connectors and
mixing the sieved dust with standard epoxy? I know graphite does not
work. Mercury and epoxy? would mercury amalgam stick to things ?

You do NOT want mercury anywhere near electronic equipment.

Back in the late 70's I saw a mini-computer that had mercury (a manometer
was laid down on top of it) all over the circuit boards.

We had to scrap it.

Attempting to replace a part would have been fatal.
Mercury vapor is highly toxic and would have been released in large
quantities by any heating such as soldering.

Mercury is bad enough at room temperature! If you work in a room where
mercury has been spilled and not properly cleaned up, you can accumulate
enought mercury in your body from breathing the mercury vapor to make you
very sick or dead.

Not to mention the fact that many parts get rather warm during normal
operation.

Attempting to use that computer would have been deadly.

--
bz

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap