Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default ER 16 Collet Size Problems

"Bob La Londe" wrote:

I used the shaft of an 1/8 mill point to get the bar
straight roughly to the table travel, and proceeded to swap collets to use a
1/4" flat end mill to rough material off of one side only to find out that
my 1/4" shaft mill point would not fit in the 1/4" collet with the collet
snapped into the nut. Then I tried with the 3/8" collet with a 3/8" shaft
end mill and got the same results. The ER16 is what is supposed to be used
in this mill, and the collets where clearly labeled for the size I was
trying to install and use.

I don't know how they mark these things but I think John's comment on metric is almost
certainly right. If you compare ER, R8 and 5C collets, ER's are the most say we say
flexible.

Wes