Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default high efficiency garage heater

On Nov 20, 12:12*pm, wrote:
I am going to be heating my attached garage (3 car, about 23'x28' w/
10' ceiling). I was looking at a Hot Dawg garage heater at first, then
I realized the mounting location would be on a wall that is directly
opposite to the living room and thought the fan noise may be a
problem. I have also considered a 45,000 BTU 80% horizontal mount
Goodman, but I was told that the burners are fairly loud. I have now
been thinking about a 93% efficient Goodman model GCH90453BX. I
believe it would be quieter, but I have been told condensate may
freeze if the heater is not used in freezing weather. Doesn't all the
condensate drain from the furnace, or is some left when it's shut
down? I usually leave the furnace set to 45 or so in the winter, but
if I did shut it down would I have a problem? I like to keep the
garage warm for my diesel truck and on occasion I watch my mom's dog,
and she stays in the garage, in that case or when I am working in the
garage, I heat to 65 or so (BTW, I am in the midwest with cold
winters). Another advantage to the high eff. furnace is that I would
have to have a long run of 25' or so type b vent with an 80% furnace,
the cost between the 80% and 93% isn't too much, probably about the
same as the cost of the vent pipe. With the 93%, I would obviously be
using PVC vent pipe that would be cheaper and easier to install. I
also wanted to use a regular furnace so I have the option to add AC in
the future,

You want to AC your garage? Lord save us.

I have no place to put a window unit. Any thoughts on the
condensate issue? I do have an easy route to run the drain to the
basement through the garage wall. Thanks for any advise!

Why not run it off of your house furnace?