Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installing a 110 volt 20 amp hot tub spa GFCI questions

wrote in message
On Nov 20, 8:45 am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Why would a 110 volt spa have two breakers?

Good question. Installing a GFCI outlet or replacing the breaker in
the main panel with a GFCI breaker is what I would do. Also, I think
120V spas are of dubious value. They take a very long time to heat
up, because the heating capacity is on the order of 1/4 what it is
with a 240V spa. Also, in the ones I've seen, because of current
limitations, the pump/blower and the heater cannot be on at the same
time. From the above you get the following:

From a practical standpoint, you can't really keep it turned down to a
lower temp to save energy, because to get it back up takes a long
time. It could work if you have it on a timer and know that you want
to use it everyday at a particular time, etc, but for spontaneous use,
it doesn't work.

And however hot it is when you start using it, that's as hot as it's
going to get. Which is fine if you're using it for 15 mins, but if
you want to have it going for a lot longer, the water is going to be
slowly cooling off.

*I agree. I had forgotten about that aspect of the 120 volt spas. They
really need to be plugged in and running all of the time to maintain the
temperature. The heater will not operate when you are using the whirlpool
jets. With this in mind I change my original opinion. You need to install
a separate 20 amp circuit for the hot tub to operate properly.

www.lds.org
.

"fzbuilder" wrote in message

Hello, I just picked up a used Hot Springs spa that is 110v 20amp. It
has had the original GFCI plug cut off and replaced with a standard
plug. I am setting the spa up in my garage and plan to share the
receptical for my washing machine that is on a 20amp breaker. (Won't
be running them at the same time). I am wondering if I can use a GCFI
adapter in between the cord and outlet. The spa has 2 breakers on the
control box already. Just want to be safe.
Thanks for any help.