Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
PeterD PeterD is offline

Default Doorbell always uses electricity!

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 22:02:33 -0600, AZ Nomad
wrote:

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 22:02:44 -0500 (EST), J. Cochran wrote:
In article ,
Bill wrote:
I installed a regular electrical box at my front door, ran 14 ga. romex from
this box to the doorbell transformer, then got a nice brass blank wall
plate, drilled a hole in this plate, then installed a 120V momentary push
switch in the plate. Then wired this to switch on the transformer when the
button is pressed. Then connected the two wires which were going to the old
button so the doorbell would ring as soon as it receives power from the
transformer.

Congratulations. You've just made a potentially lethal accident waiting to
happen. And somehow I suspect your insurance won't pay if someone dies.
I would STRONGLY suggest you do one of 2 things.
1. Rewire that doorbell to it's original configuration.
or
2. Put a GFCI into the circuit

A gfci won't deal with the issue of low voltage wiring carrying 110. It is a
fire waiting to happen, especially if there is any possibility of rodents.

The OP claims to have rewired the entire circuit with romex... He used
14 AWG, though considering how little real thinking he did, I'd
suspect anything and everything he did.

It is unfunckingbelievable what people will do to trim off a ten cent/year
cost.

And thinkg "Wow, what a good guy I am, so smart!"

That's right. Maybe ten cents in an entire year.
maybe.

That's my calculation too.

The cost of the pushbutton guarantees that the change will never ever pay
for itself.

Don't ignore the cost of rewiring the button, the romex, the new box,
and the labor. Like I said earlier, payback is sometime about the time
hell freezes over, assuming it can.

And that isn't counting the insane fire hazzard.

Let's be thankful that he's not living near us! (At least I hope
not...)